Archive for February, 2012
Wednesday, February 29th, 2012
Tuesday, February 28th, 2012
Today marks seven years for me in Fort McMurray. Like many of you, I came up here with short term plans. Gain some experience and move on.
Now I am still here seven years later and quite frankly have never been happier.
Over the course of my time here I have learned a few things.
- There is a ten minute window every day where there are less than three cars at Tim Hortons, if you don’t count Christmas break, when you are generally one of ten or so people in town
- Once the snow flies, all rules of the road, within city limits, are arbitrary. Lines for lanes and parking lots especially
- Keep your kids near you at all times, not for fear of strangers, but ravens
- Mostly what I have learned is that we have a lot of fun here in the ‘Mac. There is lots to do and when someone here is in trouble people will band together and help out. That above all is something that keeps me here. Pride in community. Well that and no where else will have me.
Today’s Bonus Code: SEVEN YEARS IN THE MAC
Monday, February 27th, 2012
Forget the oscars, forget the NBA All Star Game, this was the most important thing to happen this weekend, the full trailer for Season 2 of Game of Thrones was released!
Today’s Bonus Code: DRAGONS
Friday, February 24th, 2012
This amazing Kijiji Ad is on the Fort McMurray Kijiji “Missed Connections” page.
TO THE HANDSOME GUY AT SAFEWAY
Safeway Downtown, Friday night. I saw you staring. Seemed like you were trying to make eye contact with me but I wasn’t sure and feeling shy, also it’s easier to assume not sometimes. Then you came up to me. You asked if the pepper you’re holding is hot enough. I hesitated not making much eye contact. I suggested for you to try the small Oriental chillies. I awkwardly walked away. You were looking jazzy wearing a dark vest , Rock and Republic jeans and Mitchell andNess snapback. Your swagger is so proper.
I had a thick grey scarf, fitted tweed coat with the fur collar, hair tied back, carrying a Gucci bag and at the frankfurters/sausage aisle checking for calories content .
I saw you again at the self scan on the way out but I, unconsiciously and not so subtly, thoroughly checked you out waist down first and then peered at you before I stepped out.
You made me hot.
Sliding doors. C’est la vie.
We have to find this guy. I’m actually curious how handsome he is.
Today’s Bonus Code: HANDSOME
Thursday, February 23rd, 2012
Friday, February 17th, 2012
Thursday, February 16th, 2012
Wednesday, February 15th, 2012
As soon as Rick Nash came on the trade market yesterday, Toronto Maple Leafs fans have speculated that he is on his way to the centre of the universe.
He may very well be, however the pricetag is going to be huge, however nobody overvalues their assets as much as Leafs fans.
Here are some example of trades Toronto Maple Leafs fans have posted on various message boards since yesterday.
-The Leafs should go and get Nash for Connely and komisarek and maybe some cash
- would grab BOTH of them, if I were in BB shoes.
To Columbus: Kadri, Kulemin, Schenn, Colborne, Skrivens, 1st 2012, 1st 2013, 2nd 2013.
To Toronto: Nash, Carter.
Both teams benefit from this deal. Leafs finally get 2 pieces of the puzzle they were missing for a while and 99.99% making playoffs and go much far then a first round. Columbus gets great rebuilding package and with these blocks can easily build a nice team for Quebec or Hamilton It is a win win trade!
-Nash is coming to Toronto, baby! Two 2nd rounders, Crabbe and Boyce.
-Nash to the Leafs for Grabovski, Komisarek, Korbinian Holzer, Jerry D’Amigo and a 1st round pick!
- To Toronto-
Rick Nash (of course, who else did you think it’d be)
2012 1st round pick (a.k.a Nail Yakupov)
2012 3rd round pick
2013 1st round pick
-Kulemin + Schenn + MacA/Aulie + 1st
Today’s Bonus Code: DREAMLAND
Tuesday, February 14th, 2012
Here is a list of real gifts given to real women. Seriously.
1. A T-shirt … with Looney Tunes characters on it. Now if that doesn’t say love, I don’t know what does. — Lindsay
2. Real flowers … after telling him I’m highly allergic. Spent the day sleeping off the Benadryl. — Mariah
3. A stationary bike … Am I that fat? — Jennifer
4. An Ugly Dog purse, with a card for the girl he was cheating on me with inside. — Jen
5. A royal blue “LOVE” stamp sweatshirt from the post office. — Kimberly
6. A card from the dollar store that had a teddy bear on it and it said, “To my friend on Valentine’s Day.” Someone forgot his glasses. — Mara
7. A half-eaten bag of pink and red M&M’s. He said he got hungry on the way home. — Jennifer
8. A half dozen nearly dead roses and a card in Spanish because all of the other cards were gone. — Kerri
9. One of those razors that yanks the hair out by the roots … OUCH! Guess my husband was giving me a hint. — Wendy
10. Lice. He bought me a hat at a secondhand store, and three days later, our whole house was infected. — Brandy
11. A DustBuster. No, really. — Sharon
12. A plastic rose. The year after I got a … plastic rose. — Shannon
13. An unsigned card, because he wanted to be able to reuse it the next year. — Kaitlyn
14. A pickle book. A recipe book to show 1,001 ways to cook pickles. — Beckey
15. Getting dumped … 2 years in a row! — Sarah
Today’s Bonus Code: I LOVE YOU, HERE’S A DUSTBUSTER
Monday, February 13th, 2012
Here is the full interview with Nils Edenloff of the Rural Alberta Advantage. He is from Fort McMurray and they are up for two Juno awards.
Today’s Bonus Code: FORT MCMURRAY BOY DOES GOOD