Timmins Fire 9 Update: Evacuation Alert and Smoke Alert
Evacuation Alert: South of Hydro Bay to north of LaMotte Lake Road (including east of Kenogamissi and Mattagami Lakes to the Hydro line).
Be advised that due to variable winds and the risk of smoke in the area, the areas south of Hydro Bay to north of Lamotte Lake Road are currently being evacuated. This includes the areas east of Kenogamissi. This does not include Hydro Bay proper; however this area should be on alert.
The MNR and OPP are requesting that all people in these areas leave immediately. More information will be provided as soon as it is available.
The OPP will continue to perform 24-hour patrols of evacuated areas for the safety and security of property.
Smoke Alert: Gogama and Timmins
Be advised that strong, shifting winds over the next day may result in smoke entering the communities of Timmins and Gogama. It is recommended that the elderly and people affected by asthma or respiratory illness take necessary precautions.
Timmins Fire 9 Update:
• Hot, dry and windy conditions created a small excursion on the northwest side of the fire; it is approximately 5 km in size and extends northwest.
• There was also a 3 km excursion in the southeast side of the fire.
• CL-415 water bombers worked the northeast end of the fire.
• Winds could vary at times, creating smoky conditions for some communities.
• Priority remains values protection.
• Other suppression strategies are being considered.
• Active fire behaviour is expected for the next 24-hours based on shifting winds out of the southwest.
• The fire has not crossed highway 144.
• All evacuation orders remain in place.
Mattagami first Nation Reserve Evacuation:
• Due to potential smoke in the community from Timmins Fire 9, the Chief of Mattagami First Nation has made the decision to evacuate the community.
• This was due to shifting winds and a large smoke cloud at the south end of Timmins Fire 9.
• This is a precautionary measure for the health and safety of the residents of the community.
• Residents will be travelling to Kapuskasing, escorted by OPP.
• Approximately 194 residents live in the community.