By Angela Gemmill
Blue-Green Algae has been found in Nepewassi Lake in Greater Sudbury.
According to the Sudbury & District Health Unit, the bacteria was found in samples taken from the waterway recently.
Tests were confirmed by the Ministry of Environment.
The blooms have an unsightly pea-soup appearance, a foul smell, and can move locations with the help of wind.
They produce toxins that can irritate the skin and if ingested can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
Those living around the lake should avoid using the water for drinking or bathing and pets should also keep out of the water.