Archive for August, 2011
Tuesday, August 30th, 2011
There is a rare sight at Xstrata Copper Kidd Operations’ mine site: a pair of peregrine falcons.
Christine Greenaway with the MNR says falcons are considered threatened on the species at risk in Ontario list and were thought to be wiped out across Ontario since the 60s.
She says the MNR and Xstrata Copper will protect and monitor the success of the pair.
Click for larger images
Thursday, August 25th, 2011
Cy Rheault has an application to have land on Airport road rezoned with the intention of having a school bus parking lot, garage with office and retail space.
The area of land is currently vacant and sits behind Timmins High and Vocational School, between Airport and McChesney roads.
A public is scheduled for September 12th, 6PM at the Council Chambers
Thursday, August 25th, 2011
It appears the Abitibi Eskimos will have a familiar face on their top line this weekend.
Marc Alain Begin who had 98 points in 40 games for the Eski’s on their way to the Copeland Cup two seasons ago, has returned from the Quebec Major junior League.
The Eskis will take to the ice for two pre season games against the Kirkland Lake Blue Devils this weekend. The second contest is in Iroquois Falls 7:30 Saturday night at the Jus Jordan Arena.
Monday, August 22nd, 2011
Canada is much poorer today.
NDP Leader Jack Layton lost his cancer battle earlier this morning at the age of 61.
His wife Olivia Chow, and his children made a statement this morning saying he passed away by their side, around 4:30 AM.
Layton led the NDP to their first ever official opposition party in the May election, shortly after he announced that his cancer had returned.
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011
The Great Canadian Kayak Challenge is just over a week away.
There still plenty of room for competitors to enter, but the deadline is next Thursday. To register go to www.thegreatcanadiankayakchallenge.ca
This years’s Celebrity event will feature Outdoors man Author Kevin Kal-en, Kapuskasing Mayor Alan Spachek, and Timmins Mayor Tom Laughren.
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011
1. On your regular weekly waste collection day, take both grey waste and blue recycling bins to the curb.
2. Take the blue recycling bin to the curb and place it on the left of the grey bin.
3. Make sure to leave at least two feet between the bins.
4. Make sure to place both bins as shown in the graphic.
5. Make sure lids open towards the street.
6. Place all acceptable recyclables in the blue bin. Do not pack recyclables tightly in the blue bin. Cut down corrugated and cardboard before placing in the blue bin. Refer to the Recycling Guide provided with your blue bin.
Thursday, August 11th, 2011
Timmins North Stars have announced the dates for tryouts in August and September for ‘AAA,’ ‘AA’ and ‘A’ teams.
Following are the dates for the tryouts at the McIntyre Arena:
• Novice ‘AA’ (born 2003-04) For new players, those who did not tryout in the spring, or invited players only — Aug. 21, 8 a.m.;
• Novice ‘A’ (born 2003-04) — Aug. 28, 1 p.m.; Sept. 10, 5 p.m.; Sept. 11, 9 a.m.;
• Atom Major ‘AA’ (born 2001-02) For new players, those who did not tryout in the spring, or invited players only — Aug. 20, 8 a.m.;
• Atom Minor ‘AA’ (born 2002) For new players, those who did not tryout in the spring, or invited players only — Aug. 21, 9 a.m.;
• Peewee ‘AAA’ (born 1999-2000) For new players, those who did not tryout in the spring, or invited players only — Aug. 20, noon.
• Peewee ‘AA’ (born 1999-2000) For new players, those who did not tryout in the spring, or invited players only — Aug. 27, 9 a.m.
• Peewee ‘A’ (born 1999-2000) — Aug. 28, 2 p.m.; Sept. 10, 7:30 p.m.; Sept. 11, 4 p.m.;
• Bantam ‘AA’ (born 1997-98) Players attending ‘AAA’ Bantam selection camp are not to attend until they have been released — Aug. 20, 9 a.m.; Aug. 27; 10 a.m.; Sept. 7, 4:30 p.m.; Sept. 9, 5 p.m. (goalies), 6:30 p.m. (dryland), 8 p.m.;
• Bantam ‘A’ (born 1997-98) — Aug. 28, 3 p.m.; Sept. 10, 8:30 p.m.; Sept. 11, 5 p.m.
TRYOUT SESSIONS SET FOR
VARIETY OF GIRLS’ TEAMS
Timmins & District Girls Hockey Association has announced the dates for tryouts for the 2011-12 season:
• Peewee — Aug. 29, at 7 p.m. at the MacIntyre Arena. Information can be obtained from David Shaw at email@example.com or 705-268-2694.
• Bantam — Aug. 26, at 6 p.m., and Aug. 29, at 6 p.m., both sessions at the MacIntyre Arena. Information can be obtained from Marie Leonard at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 705-264-7971.
• Midget — Aug. 26, at 7 p.m., and Aug. 27, at 11:30 a.m. Team will be coached by Mario Pittui, with Kylie Laughren as assistant coach. Information can be obtained from 705-267-6409.
• Senior ‘BB’ — Sept. 26, at 7 p.m., and Sept. 28, at 7 p.m., at MacIntyre Arena. Information can be obtained by contacting Andrea at 705-268-1132, 705-262-7178 or Andreasillius@gmail.com.
The players are requested to have signed permission to skate or releases from their previous team.
The association is presently on the lookout for coaching staff for a bantam team. Contact Marie Léonard at email@example.com, or call 705-264-7971 to obtain more information.
TIMMINS EAGLES TRYOUTS
WILL BEGIN ON SATURDAY
Timmins Eagles will be looking to feather their nest with players for the 2011-12 Northern Ontario ‘AAA’ Bantam Hockey League season when they hold tryouts at the McIntyre Arena starting on Saturday, from 5:30-7 p.m.
The tryouts will continue on Sunday, from 10:30 a.m. until noon and 4-5:30 p.m.
All players must have permission to skate forms, or they will not be allowed to participate.
Monday, August 8th, 2011
The Provincial New Democrats say they will keep resources and jobs in the north if elected this fall.
Their Northern Platform includes creating value added forestry and mining jobs.
Leader Andrea Horwath says they plan on fixing forest tenures, and amending the mining act so that all resources extracted will stay in Ontario.