Tuesday April 20 2010 – 10:26pm Eastern – Toronto, ON
Between the NBA playoffs, pre-draft workouts, the NBA draft, free agency, trades, Team Canada, the World Championships, and then Training Camp … there will be plenty to talk about in this space.
I will try to continue to submit stuff on a daily basis and welcome the interaction and comments below.
Today … I figured I’d go with some Random Raptor Thoughts:
1. Bryan Colangelo is heading into the last year of his contract with the Raptors (next season). Given that this is the most important summer in recent memory for the Raps, the MLSE board needs to decide right now what they want to do with Colangelo. You can’t hand the keys to your organization – and your future – to a guy that is in the final year of his contract. Thus, you need to make a decision on him right now. If it were up to me, I’d give Colangelo an extension right now. I know Jack Armstrong feels the same way — we both chatted about this on The Game Plan on Monday afternoon. Colangelo is not without fault. Two straight years out of the post-season is not a traditional time to be handing out extensions either. However, for the stability of your present and future you need to ensure that the man orchestrating and directing that future is a part of it.
2. I can’t believe people didn’t make more of the fact that Colangelo revealed on Monday that the Raptors offered Chris Bosh an extension over the course of the season and CB turned it down. That’s not only new news but I think it’s significant news as well. And is it a sign of things to come this summer?
3. For those that have been asking about the Raptors 1st round draft pick this year (which would have gone to Miami if Toronto had made it into the post-season) … Here’s the official terminology I was given by the Raps: “A lottery protected 1st round pick was conveyed in the original deal. If the pick has been conveyed by 2014, then the 2015 pick is unconditional and must be conveyed. Additionally, if the pick was not delivered in 2010, then our own (Toronto’s) own 2010 2nd round pick is conveyed.
4. Another interesting tidbit dropped by Colangelo on Monday that got little play: Reggie Evans still isn’t 100% healthy and if the doctors don’t feel that Evans’ foot is good-to-go, Toronto could very easily cut bait by next year. That said, though the ‘toughness’ factor will be missed (even though he didn’t have a chance to bring much of it this year because of his health), the minutes could be sparse again anyway given the fact that Andrea Bargnani is likely back, Amir Johnson being re-signed is a priority, and Chris Bosh or his ‘replacement’ will be in the mix too!
5. Informal poll time: If 1 of the 2 point guards is on the move this summer, who will it be … Jose Calderon or Jarrett Jack? Calderon has a bigger ticket which may be harder to deal but he needs to be a much better defender for his team to be effective. Jack’s price tag isn’t as hefty which may make him easier to move but is he considered to be the kind of play-maker that Jose is?
Should be interesting.
Have a good one folks