Friday June 19 2009 – 8:50am Eastern (Toronto, ON)
I know … it’s been a few days since I last checked in. Sorry. Life has been getting in the way. As we approach next Thursday’s NBA Draft though, I promise to try to be more diligent in posting more blogs – and we’re going to do something new as well: host at least 1 (if not 2 or more) LIVE Chats.
In the meantime, I thought I’d bring myself back from my mini hiatus with the Mock Draft that Jonesy and I did on the “HOOPS” show last night.
Warning: This mock was based on (in no particular order) things like … gut, opinion, info from scouts and sources, our impressions of teams’ needs, rumblings around the league, other mocks and info that are out there, and so on. There was nothing scientific or “guarantee-able” about this – or any other – mock. Plus, we made our selections based on there being no trades … and we all know there’s got to be at least a couple of deals, right?!
Jonesy played the role of GM for teams 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13. I was the GM for teams 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14.
Here we go …
1. Blake Griffin (CLIPPERS) – No brainer.
2. Hasheem Thabeet (GRIZZLIES) – You can never have enough size and shot-blocking … especially in the West.
3. James Harden (THUNDER) – Another young stud for this team-of-the-future.
4. Ricky Rubio (KINGS) – From Spain to SACRAMENTO? Culture shock for Ricky … legit PG for the Kings.
5. Jordan Hill (WIZARDS) – Big body with a big upside.
6. Tyreke Evans (TIMBERWOLVES) – Nice compliment on the wing to an existing core of Jefferson, Love, and Foye.
7. Stephen Curry (WARRIORS) – Would fit in nicely to Golden State’s run-and-gun, fill-it-up offense.
8. Jrue Holiday (KNICKS) – New York’s PG of the future? Or a depth SG? Either way, he’s a scorer NY can use.
9. DeMar DeRozan (RAPTORS) – Athleticism, length, and a lot of untapped potential still. The wing T.O. is dyin’ for?
10. Jonny Flynn (BUCKS) – Sessions could be going and is Ridnour the answer? Flynn seems like the perfect pick.
11. Brandon Jennings (NETS) – From Europe to the NBA, Jennings will have a good mentor in Rod Thorn (and D. Harris).
12. Gerald Henderson (BOBCATS) – Reminds me of Shane Battier – on and off the floor. Larry Brown should love him.
13. Earl Clark (PACERS) – More length and versatility for an Indy team that could/should make some noise next year.
14. Ty Lawson (SUNS) – A true leader. He can learn the ropes – at least for a year – under 1 of the best … Steve Nash.
Enjoy your weekend folks. Happy Father’s Day to all of the Dads that are celebrating out there! And remember to check back next week for our LIVE CHAT … probably on Tuesday or Wednesday.