August 22nd, 2012 by carly.weidauer
Back to school is starting soon which means you’ve got to pull out the shopping list for school lunches! If you think your kids are getting a little tired of the same variety of meals in their lunchbox, Readers Digest has got a bunch of lunch recipes your kids will love, you know switch it up! Apple Muffins is one of them. Sometimes it’s not about changing the entire recipie, but just adding a different flavour!
Check them out here! http://www.readersdigest.ca/food/cooking/10-school-lunch-recipes-your-kids-will-love
August 21st, 2012 by carly.weidauer
1. We were made to walk. A recent study, led by researchers at the University of Utah, worked with zoologists to compare human locomotion to that of cheetahs and gazelles (animals who are natural runners). They equipped athletes of different ages with face masks and asked them to run in three different styles measuring their oxygen levels for each. What they found was that running itself wasn’t efficient at all for humans, walking was.
2. Justin Bieber can improve your workouts. “Our bodies are made to be moved by music and move to it,”
3. Ditch the carbs. We’ve all heard of carb-loading but what most people don’t know is that if you’re intensely working out for anything under an hour you don’t need extra carbohydrates
4. Chocolate milk is better than Gatorade. While Gretchen discourages you from changing too much of your diet for everyday exercise, what she does encourage is reaching for low-fat chocolate milk post-workout. Containing, “an almost ideal ratio of sugars and proteins,” chocolate milk is perfect for energy replenishment instead of expensive protein shakes and powders. Canadian soccer star Christine Sinclair swears by this as well.
5. Sex can make you smarter. When male rats, in a Princeton University study, were given “sexually receptive” females, the resulting activity created an, “increase in neurogenesis in their brains.” Essentially, sex created new cells in the brain, a until recently, scientists thought was impossible.
For more tips head here to Chatelaine! http://www.chatelaine.com/en/article/40661–10-surprising-facts-on-how-the-average-person-can-really-get-in-shape
August 16th, 2012 by carly.weidauer
Have you ever had to fire a lazy babysitter? It’s kind of like the unknown… it doesn’t matter how well you know them… the minute you walk out the door you don’t know what’s going down! I remember when we were kids my mom would come home and realize our babysitter was on the phone the whole night. It was so boring! Come on, 8 dollars an hour? At least do some colouring with us! What’s your annoying babysitter stories?
August 15th, 2012 by carly.weidauer
She’s coming out with her new album RED august 22nd but her new single “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” has a funny story behind it! Taylor was in the studio with her poducers and a friend of her ex boyfriends came in asking her “so uhh I here you and so and so are getting back together?” Taylor put her foot down and said “NO we are not getting back together never ever”. And her producers went “Taylor we have to make this a song!” Who could it be about… john mayor? It’s a catchy song and for the first time Taylor strays from her country roots and shows us her pop side. Have a listen!!
August 14th, 2012 by carly.weidauer
Premiere Props announced today that during their Hollywood Extravaganza VII they will be auctioning off over 1000 Hollywood costumes and props including numerous unpublished photos and several wardrobe items from Elvis Presley, with many of the wardrobe items coming directly being on display in the Mississippi Museum Hall of Fame.
The auction will take place on Saturday, September 15 and Sunday, September 16, 2012 at Premiere Props’ headquarters in El Segundo, CA beginning at 11am PT, with a preview from 9-11am PT each day.
- Elvis Presley – numerous wardrobe items and unreleased photos from Elvis’ life
- “Underworld” Franchise – Deal Dealers’ and Sonya’s costumes, cross bows and chains
- “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” – Harry’s training broom; Quaffle ball and Golden snitch
- “WarGames” – WOPR computer
- “Back to the Future” – Delorean Test Car and Doc Brown’s shirt
- “Shogun” TV series – Samurai sword
- “Ben Hur” – numerous swords, spears, and helmets
- Sylvester Stallone’s personalized punching bag
- Robby the Robot life-size figure
- Michael Jackson signed
Fans can starting bidding now, placing bids online at http://www.icollector.com/ and http://www.liveauctioneers.com or calling to set up phone bidding with a Premiere Props representative. Collectors can place proxy bids until the Hollywood Extravaganza VII Auction goes LIVE at 11am PT on September 15.
August 8th, 2012 by carly.weidauer
It’s been a week full of glorious moments in the Olympics…and if you think you’ve seen all the coverage there’s one you may have overlooked…womens shotput was held yesterday and it’s actually more exciting than you think. The best part is the outrageous sounds they make when they heave these giant balls in the air…this is real footage of what they sound like. This could be a funny thing to send around the office!!!
August 8th, 2012 by carly.weidauer
The following sites have confirmed for the event (and we are awaiting confirmation on others!): McIntyre Arena,TimminsMemorialCemetery, Deadman’s Point (Whitney Cemetery), Timmins Hollinger House, Timmins Museum:National Exhibition Centre, Timmins Public Library, Centre Culturel la ronde and Norttiem College.
Many of these sites are preparing special tours and activities. The Museum and Library will present a festival in the park celebrating local artists and writers as well as our mining heritage. The Whitney Cemetery will explore the Great Porcupine Fire of 1911, while Timmins Memorial Cemetery will offer “Stories of the Stones:A Living History Cemetery Tour.” Daytime visitorscantaketheself-guidedtour and participate in workshops on Headstone Cleaning, Gravestone Rubbings and Iconology.A guided Moonlight Living History Tour will also take place from 8pm- l0pm.
The Coniaururn Reclamation Site, owned by Goldcorp/ Porcupine Gold Mines presents a wonderful project that has seen the land “restored” after mining – the site is now home to a teepee, a sweat lodgeand many bee hives!
For more info head here http://www.timmins100.com/2012/04/our-stories-100-years-in-the-making/
July 26th, 2012 by carly.weidauer
Belgium: Fries with Homemade mayo
Check out all the different meals in the article on Chatelaine click this link : http://www.chatelaine.com/en/blog/post/39991–olympics-inspired-potluck-party-menu
July 25th, 2012 by carly.weidauer
Just over 112,000 Ontarians have signed a petition calling for beer and wine in convenience stores. You know all those times you have to rush home from work so you have time to get to the LCBO? Coneveneince stores are open much later and hey, they’re doing it in Quebec and the US! Just walking around the corner for wine…imagine that. Would you like to see wine and beer at laundry max?