I mentioned in an earlier blog about great healthy treats for dogs, and how it’s always a good idea to check with your vet before changing up your animal’s diet in any way. I went on to mention that some foods you would just assume to be healthy are, in fact, dangerous – grapes and raisins in particular. I got a response from a listener saying that she fed her dogs raisins all the time! This scared me a bit, and got me to do some more research into some other treats that could be extremely dangerous.
Here’s a looooong list:
-It has recently been confirmed that grapes and raisins can cause acute kidney failure in dogs.
-Onions, and to a significantly lesser extent garlic, contain thiosulfate which causes hemolytic anemia in dogs (and cats). Occasional exposure to small amounts is usually not a problem, but continuous exposure to even small amounts can be a serious threat. Garlic is also known to cause diarrhea and vomiting.
-Macadamia nuts can cause stiffness, tremors, hyperthermia, and abdominal pain.
-Hops, a plant used in making beer, can cause malignant hyperthermia in dogs, usually with fatal results. Even small amounts of hops can trigger a potentially deadly reaction, even if the hops are “spent” after use in brewing.
-Xylitol is a sugar substitute used in chewing gum, chewable vitamins, candy, toothpaste, and other products. There have been cases of foods, candies and gums containing xylitol causing toxic or even fatal liver damage in dogs and should be avoided.
-If dogs eat the pits of fruits such as peaches and apricots, they can get cyanide poisoning due to cyanogenic glycosides.
I’m sure there are many more (you do know that chocolate is deadly to dogs?) and I’ll try to update this as we go along. In the meantime, keep your pup safe
BONUS CODE: Sasha