Archive for August, 2007
Friday, August 31st, 2007
Prince Harry has paid an emotional tribute to his mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, during a memorial service on the 10th anniversary of her death. He said he and his brother missed her and called for her to be remembered as someone who made people happy. See this touching video at:
**thanks to Sky News Video**
Friday, August 31st, 2007
Yesterday we asked our Clear parent’s if they were done their back to school shopping. Surprisingly, it was almost a dead heat! 53% said “yes, we’re ready for the first day,” and 47% said “no, you’ll see us at the mall this weekend.”
Thanks to everyone who had their say with the Jay & Billie Jo Morning Survey.
Have a terrific long weekend!
Wednesday, August 29th, 2007
Tuesday, August 28th, 2007
This has been the “must see” video on youtube the past couple of days. Miss Teen South Carolina stumbles her way through a question and answer session.
[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/lj3iNxZ8Dww" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]
watch this video
Thursday, August 23rd, 2007
They’re almost back in school, but do you know what your tweens are really up to? Check out this parents guide from Good Housekeeping magazine – some of these numbers really blew my mind!
* 18% of eighth graders have experimented with marijuana at least once according to a National Institute on Drug Abuse study. What you can do: Research shows that kids are 36% less likely to smoke marijuana if they learn about the risk from their parents, so talk to your child.
* 48% of seventh graders admitted copying homework according to a Rutgers University survey. What you can do: Don’t address what your child did, say experts, address the possible motives. One common reason kids copy: They don’t really want to be dishonest, but they just don’t understand the subject matter. If that’s the case, go over the homework with your child every night.
* 40% of tweens spend their lunch money on junk food according to a Good Housekeeping online survey. What you can do to help kids make smarter choices: Stock up on good for you snacks. The more kids eat healthy food at home, the more they’ll seek it out in other settings. Limit TV time. Studies show there’s a connection between how much television kids watch and how much junk they eat.
* 45% of tweens aren’t think about school even when they’re there according to a Good Housekeeping online survey. What they think about most when they’re tuned out: 20% are focused on after school plans; 12%, on popularity; and 13%, on dating.
* 80% of ten year old girls have been on a diet according to a Magellan Health Services study. Plus a Good Housekeeping online survey found 34% of the tween girls said they’ve cut back on their eating without telling mom. What you can do: Kids look to parents as examples, so don’t ever let the words “I’m so fat!” escape your mouth. Your kids internalize what you say about body image, so keep criticisms in check. You should also be careful about how often you talk about your child’s looks. Even too much praise can send the wrong message. If your tween really does have a weight problem take action, but don’t make her feel like an outsider. Get the whole family involved in exercise and eating well.
* 52% of tweens admitted to using swearwords at school. What you can do: Watch your own language, parents are kids’ greatest role models.
* 22% of tweens admitted they’ve played hooky. What you can do: Ask the school for attendance records. If your tween isn’t showing up, try your best to avoid yelling. That kind of reaction rarely translates into positive changes in kid’s behavior. Instead, create a contract with your child to outline what the consequences will be if he ditches class.
* 35% of tweens admitted turning in fake notes, forging signatures, whether to excuse an absence or to give permission for a field trip. What you can do: See if the school can keep your signature and handwriting samples on file so that administrators will be able to detect fakes right away.
Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007
Yesterday, we posed the question “Do you think children should have a pre paid credit card?”
74% of parents say NO WAY – TOO SCARY!!!!
Thanks for voting, and remember, it’s a great way to have your say, and earn valuable reward points at the same time. We’ll have another survey soon at www.102clearfm.com
Monday, August 20th, 2007
Check this out….it’s an entire website dedicated to “random acts of kindness!” I especially like the idea of teacher’s incorporating the “kindness in the classroom” philosophy.
Oh, and make sure to print off your very own Random Acts of Kindness cards at www.102clearfm.com and make someone’s day!
Friday, August 17th, 2007
Check out the “Oprah Barks An Order” clip….She had Gibson the BIGGEST dog ever on her show yesterday. Seriously, he’s in the Book of World Records. Ohhhh I think Great Dane’s are so regal and so beautiful.
Friday, August 17th, 2007
Wednesday evening a g’friend and I took in the Africa/Caribbean Pavilion @ Grant Park High School…WoW, what an evening!
The show was fabulous: dancing, drumming, & Prince Jo Jo doing the Limbo. My knees were sore just watching this guy…he was parallel to the floor only inches off the ground. The crowd went crazy during the finale as he started the bamboo sticks on fire and still managed to limbo under. Very impressive!!
When it comes to food I’m picky to say the least…and seldom try something new. It’s always the same old, same old for me…. BLT sandwiches, or chicken with no spice. Apparently I felt like living on the edge while at the Pavilion and I’m glad I did the food on the menu was delicious: jerk chicken, beef and chicken rotis, patties, curried goat and calypso ribs. To quench your thirst taste the rum punch, a piña colada, or try a Red Stripe or Carib beer.
Thanks to Lucinda for showing us such a good time!
There’s a few days left…check it out for yourself. The Africa/Caribbean Pavilion is located at Grant Park High School – 450 Nathaniel Street. Located across from Grant Park Mall
PS-Maybe I’ll cu @ the Cuban or Irish Pavilions this weekend. Have FUN!
Wednesday, August 15th, 2007
Everywhere you look….fall and winter fashions. Depressing isn’t it?
-Coats with 1/2 sleeves
-Slouchy Slacks(I can’t believe I just said that..”slacks”)
-Tweed, Harringbone, Blues, Greens, Reds
-Apparently BIG shoulders are in too….NO!!! Say it isn’t so. I hate the linebacker football look. Huh on second thought, maybe the bigger the shoulder pads the smaller my butt will look:) ha wishful thinking.
PS-Fall fashions? Forget it…I’m off to hit the mall and get some real bargains on the summer stuff.